Friday 3 January 2014

Sewing for me again!

After what seems like an age (and it is: 1 1/2 years), I'm finally back to making my own clothes again.  The last thing I made was this dress, destined never to fit me again, boo hoo. 


I was so slow to finish it that my baby bump was far too large to fit in it, and I've only just got to the stage where I'm comfortable dieting.  Meanwhile, I've lived for the last year in two ragged maternity dresses, two pairs of jeans, one pair of shorts, and about 4 tops.  I am not exaggerating; if you were wondering why I turned up to your special event in jeans, this is why and I'm sorry.

The good news is that I'm back on the sewing bandwagon, and I have a special resolution to sew more clothes!  Hoorah!

I got Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing for Christmas and I'm really enjoying the read so far.  I love Gertie's style and I also love that the book isn't pitched too low and it's without the "it's so easy" vibe that I find so grating.  It looks like she's about to tell me how to do it properly, and I can't wait!  I hope I'll get around to making some of her fabulous patterns; she gives patterns for a complete wardrobe.

In addition, I bought some stretch-knit dresses to wear.  That's right, real-life friends and family!  I'm going to turn up in NOT JEANS!  I have discovered that jersey dresses are my new best friends, and so I've decided to set about making a whole bunch more in fun styles and colours.  That's the start of my resolution.

With that in mind, I dug out my copy of Sew U Home Stretch.  I've copied out the pattern for the babydoll dress ("hides a multitude of figure flaws!") and I've bought some cheap stretch-jersey online to practice it.  I can't wait for the fabric to arrive!  If it all goes swimmingly, look what I found: JERSEY!  There are almost 800 types here!  What is the catch?!  I CLEARLY NEED 800 DRESSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment